Sunday, June 28, 2015

Spotlight - Interview and Nanee's Review of Barefoot with a Bodyguard by Roxanne St. Claire



The Barefoot Bay Undercover Series

Introducing Barefoot Bay Undercover, a romantic adventure series set on the tropical beaches of Barefoot Bay. When former CIA consultant Gabe Rossi creates a secret “privatized witness protection” operation hidden within the security firm at the local resort, things get a little more suspenseful on the island paradise. Gabe’s clients need to keep a low profile and stay safe while he helps them create new identities...and, sometimes, they find love. (To find out how Gabe started the operation, be sure to read the series prequel novella, Barefoot Bound.)


BLURB:
Barefoot with a Bodyguard – book one in the series

About to take the bar exam after ending a five-year marriage that derailed her career plans and her life, Kate Kingston craves independence and a vacation. Somewhere warm with sea breezes, sunshine, sand...and no scary threats against her that have been showing up in her dad’s office. Barefoot Bay is the perfect place for some serenity while she studies and puts her life back together. But when she meets the brooding wall of muscle her father hired to protect her, Kate feels her hard won independence slipping away as fast as her resolve to avoid men who wield power over her.

Mixed martial arts trainer Alec Petrov has been on the run for a long time. Guarding a young attorney-to-be while pretending to be her husband is not a bad way to live off the grid, hidden from the Russian mobster who is hunting Alec with deadly intent. But Kate brings out a tender side Alec doesn't understand, or believe he deserves, and he soon realizes that keeping them both safe is only half the challenge. Keeping his hands off her and his attraction under control will be every bit as difficult in the closed quarters of an exclusive resort.

When their make-believe honeymoon in paradise turns sensual, complicated, and dangerous, Alec and Kate realize it’s not just their lives that are in jeopardy, it’s their hearts. And they’ll have to fight to the end to save each other…and their love.


Nanee's Review:
absolutely love Roxanne St. Claire's stories and I love that she has brought suspense and intrigue and Gabe Rossi back! lol. This story hooked me from page one, I love that the mysterious Gabe Rossi is setting up shop in Barefoot Bay protecting witnesses and helping them move on with their lives and bringing all sorts of new and hot as hell characters with him (yum). 
Kate Kingston is trying to get her life back on track after a loveless and emotional disastrous  five year marriage. She wants to pass the bar exam and have no contact with men, her focus is only on becoming a lawyer. Alex Petrov is a Mix-martial arts trainer and wants to live his life in peace but when his past comes for him he knows he can't keep running without losing everything he loves. 
I love these two characters together, Roxanne builds the chemistry perfectly between them, of course Kate is all for a fling with Alec but Alec takes his job seriously as a bodyguard/fake husband and doesn't feel worthy of a women like Kate. I love the emotions that Alec goes through to learn he is worthy of life, love and happiness. I fell for his character right from the beginning. He's amazingly tender and sweet and loving but also badass and protective and gorgeous (big hands and all!). I love both their vulnerability towards each other and their first kiss and touch and their wow sizzling sex! I love how hard they fought for happiness and never gave up on each other. I thought this story was suspenseful and mysterious, sexy and loving all in one, like many of Roxanne's stories! I loved feisty Poppy and of course Uncle Nino and at the end there are tons of new surprises coming our way! I have a lot of favorites by Roxanne but this is definitely in the top 5. Can't wait fo more Gabe...
 5 stars!!!! 



BUY LINKS

Interview with Roxanne St. Claire

You have written so many books that I love

Thank you so much!! I’m thrilled to hear that and so happy to be here to answer your questions! Fire away…

What is your favorite sub genre to write? I know your Barefoot books are more Contemporary and now with bringing Gabe back your bringing back more of a romantic Suspense, which is your most favorite to write?

I’m not sure I have a “favorite” but some are a little easier for me than others. I really enjoy all the tension and “plot” that goes into a romantic suspense – there’s always a lot of options for the next scene.  But, with straight contemporary, I have time to explore more emotions and issues with the characters, and have lots of tender moments of internal change and growth.  I’m really straddling the fence now, and trying to do both! It was fun (not exactly easy) with BAREFOOT WITH A BODYGUARD and I hope that continues!

Do you have a all time favorite book that you wrote?

You know, I do. I know I’m not supposed to, but my favorite book was a chick lit that came out in 2004 and was read by just about nobody.  It’s called HIT REPLY and I wrote it under my nickname, Rocki St. Claire.  The entire story is told in emails and texts (though we called them Instant Messages back then) and is the story of three women whose lives intertwine, and the men who change and challenge them. The emails and IMs were a very “voyeuristic” way of taking a sneak peek into other people’s lives/computers, and I had a blast writing the book.

If you could give one piece of advice to a new author what would it be?

It wouldn’t be one piece, that’s for sure. Obviously, read and learn the craft before you try to publish.  Write what you LOVE to read, not what you think is selling.  And never, ever, ever give up – on the dream, on a book, on yourself. But mostly I would say pack a thick skin and great friends for the journey – it can be a very bumpy ride.

What inspired you to write?

My love of reading, for sure.  I have been a hard core reader since I was a young girl and read GONE WITH THE WIND one summer when I was 12 – it took all three months!!   I discovered romance novels quite young and loved to read them, and, at the same time, I loved to write “stories” – where I was the heroine and things turned out perfectly in the arms of “that boy” who ignored me at school.  It was a release and a comfort to write, and it is a joy to make a living writing every day!

Who is a go to author for you to read?

Too many to pick out just one! It ALWAYS depends on my mood. I read a lot of non fiction, too, because when you write fiction all day, it’s sometimes impossible to pick a book and get lost in it when my mind is spinning my own story.

Name your top five favorite books that you read? 

Not in any order:
OUTLANDER by Diana Gabaldon
MORNING GLORY  by LaVyrle Spencer
NOBODY’S BABY BUT MINE by Susan Elizabeth Phillips
MR. PERFECT by Linda Howard
JANE EYRE  by Charlotte Bronte
Oh, it has to be six.  WELCOME TO TEMPTATION by Jennifer Crusie

What is one pet peeve you have when reading a review?

One? I guess a big fat spoiler. But I think the thing that makes me crazy about reviews and really any kind of “analysis” or pop literature is when  someone makes  huge assumptions about why I made certain story choices.  You might like them or not, but you can’t assume you know why I chose to make a character do something or have a plot unfold a certain way.  Feel free to ask, though! I answer all emails personally!

Where will you be seen this year? Any conferences, book signings or conventions?

I’ll be at RWA in New York in July, and then I’ll be laying low right through the holidays, writing like crazy to finish two more books. In 2016, I’m scheduled to be the keynote speaker at the Moonlight & Magnolias conference in Atlanta, and again at the Emerald City conference in Seattle. That’s it for now, but things do come up!

Where do you get your inspiration from? Life, friends family?

Inspiration is everywhere! I get it by reading, by talking to people, watching the news, and just daydreaming.  I also get inspired by my bills…and have to pay them whether inspiration has struck or not.  Sometimes I have to write through the “uninspired” days to get to the creatively overloaded days! 
WOW! Thanks Roxanne.  For those of you who have never met Roxanne in person, she is one of the kindest, sweetest. funny and amazing people I have ever met. If you have not yet read her books or it has been a while get lost in them again, they are amazing and always full of surprises and hot as hell characters!!!!!
Don’t Miss a Minute in Barefoot Bay - they can be read and enjoyed in any order and all stand alone!

BAREFOOT BAY UNDERCOVER
Barefoot Bound – The Undercover Series Prequel
Barefoot with a Bodyguard (June 2015)
Barefoot with a Stranger (October 2015)
Barefoot with a Bad Boy (Date announced soon – Gabe’s book!)

THE BAREFOOT BAY BILLIONAIRES
Secrets on the Sand (always free!)
Seduction on the Sand
Scandal on the Sand

THE BAREFOOT BAY BRIDES
Barefoot in White (currently free!)
Barefoot in Lace
Barefoot in Pearls (less)
ebook307 pages
Published June 2015 by South Street Publishing

1 comment: