Sunday, April 19, 2015

Spotlight and Nanee's Review of Homefront (Homefront #1) by Jessica Scott



Jessica Scott is my featured Author Today, she writes amazing stories about Military men and women who struggle through life but are truly heroes. 


Blurb:

He's always loved her...
First Sergeant Gale Sorren waited a war and half a lifetime for a chance to get stationed near the ex-wife who left him years ago. When he finally musters the courage to see her, the life he imagined she was living was nothing close to the reality.
She's never stopped loving him...
Melanie never stopped worrying about Gale each time he headed off to war. But he's never been there when she needed him and she's had fifteen years to steel her heart against him.
But when Gale moves to Fort Hood, he finally has a chance to make things right with Melanie and the daughter she raised without him.
Can Mel trust her heart to a man who has always let her down?
Nanee's Review:

As of all Jessica Scott's books this one hit me in the heart. I fell for these characters right from the start and the story grabbed me and didn't let go until the end (and I still think about it). This story is about love that was lost and second chances, Gale is a sexy as hell hero in my book, he's fought for his country time and again and almost lost his daughter and wife for being the hero he is. He's strong, confident and one hell of a soldier but he never stopped loving his Ex wife and misses the hell out of his daughter. I love how he puts himself out there and reaches out to his family, I love how he fights for his life and family, I just love him to pieces. 

Melanie is sweet and strong in her own right and she still loves her ex husband but doesn't know if she wants to risk her heart again but knows she loves having him around and being a team with raising their daughter. I love how they see each other again after so long apart, I love how the author describes their life together before and how they still love each other. The simple touches, the looks, the soft kisses all make this a amazing story. Love Jamie their daughter, she's trying to make it in life, she's a fighter.  love all the characters we learned to love before Teague (love him), Iaconelli (love him too) lol. Alex I felt for. Tears were in my eyes for how he was treated, I applaud him with how he respects Gale and felt for Jamie. 

As you can see this story has it all, Love (lot's of love), the sex is hot as hell (sizzling!), courageous men and women and life's challenges they fight to get through. I loved every minute of this story and cannot wait to read more by Jessica Scott. (I wish I could here more about Alex later hope he gets the love he needs) 5 huge stars!!!!


Excerpt:

See you soon.
What game was he playing? She was off-kilter now that Gale lived in town. Things that had always been in their place— old memories that had been locked away¾were rising from the grave, throwing her off.
There was a gentle knock on her window and she jumped, damn near out of her skin.
Gale stood outside. His hat and sunglasses hid half his face, revealing nothing but hard jaw. He looked like every woman’s fantasy soldier. Iron jaw, broad shoulders.
Too bad there was so much baggage between them.
He stepped back when she opened the door.
“Hi,” he said. There was hesitation in his voice. “You look nice.”
“Thanks.”
Sometimes, going through the motions of conversation was easier than making real conversation.
“Thanks for meeting me,” he said, falling into step with her as she locked the door and dropped her keys into her purse.
“I had time.”
He held the door for her, then followed her into the restaurant. She handed him a menu, only to give up reading her own after a moment. “So listen, about the other night.”
She didn’t miss the way his eyes crinkled at the edges as he looked down at her. Holy Lord in heaven that was sexy.
She pulled her thoughts out of the gutter. “I’m sorry about…how I acted,” she admitted softly.
The muscle in his jaw pulsed. He said nothing. “I spent most of the night trying to figure out what I did wrong.”
“It wasn’t you.” Melanie sighed. “It was me. And I know that sounds like a cliché but it’s true. I shouldn’t have put that on you like I did.”
“I…I don’t know how to fix that,” he said. He took a step closer, sliding one hand up her arm to rest on her neck. “I didn’t mean to make things worse for you, Mel.”
A hesitant admission. Her heart pounded in her chest a little harder. “I know you didn’t. And I’m sorry I reacted so poorly.”
“Okay.” His thumb brushed against her jaw. A hesitant caress before he lowered his hand. They moved forward in the line and ordered. He put his hand over hers when she reached for her credit card. “Let me buy you lunch?”
He surrounded her. With one simple gesture he undid her. Chipped away at the wall around her heart a little more. “Thank you.”
They got their drinks and went to find a table, settling on one behind the salad bar in relative seclusion.
“So let’s play a game.” He didn’t look at her, though, sparking her curiosity as to what exactly he had in mind. 
“A game? You never played games before.”
“A lot’s changed over the years.”
“Apparently.” She watched him snag a sugar packet from the little holder. “You don’t look like the game-playing type,” she said lightly.
“Maybe I’m trying something new,” he said. There was that look again. That look that made her insides turn to liquid heat and made her want to do dark and forbidden things with him.
“So what’s the game?” she asked as he poured a sugar packet into his unsweetened tea. She didn’t remember him drinking tea.
He leaned forward, cupping his hands around hers. “Let’s pretend.”
He stroked his thumbs across the tops of her knuckles.
“Let’s pretend what?” Her breath hitched a little in her throat.
“Let’s pretend we just met.”
“Gale, that’s silly.”
His hands tightened around hers. “Just hear me out.” She stilled beneath his touch. “Look, a lot has changed. With you, with me. With Jamie. But after the other night, I realized I was the interloper. And that you were right. That I’d waltzed right into your life and expected everything to kind of fall into place because I wanted it to.” He looked down at their hands. “That’s not fair to you and everything you’ve gone through. You’ve done a hell of a job with Jamie, Mel.” A slide of his thumb over her hand. “But I want to get to know you again. I know the girl who used to jump into the quarry with me.” He cleared his throat. “I want to get to know who you are now.”
Mel blinked at the sincerity in his words. The thick pressure in her lungs increased and she didn’t know what to say that wouldn’t screw things up any more than she’d already screwed things up with him.
But there he sat. Telling her he wanted to get to know her. Apart from their daughter.
It wasn’t anything more than what it was: a simple declaration.
So why did her stupid heart start beating faster, wanting more than she’d ever allowed herself to dream of?

***

The last time he’d been this nervous, he’d been getting shot at somewhere north of Baghdad and he’d lost his lieutenant.
Okay, so maybe that was a bad analogy, but still. It took everything he had to keep his hands from shaking.
He’d just poured his heart out onto the table and Mel was sitting there saying nothing. Looking lost and confused and a little dazed.
Maybe he’d come on too strong. Maybe he should have just left this at lunch and pushed a little more later. Once she trusted him a little more.
Once they had something more between them than awkward memories and a failed marriage and a daughter who hated them both.
But the more he’d thought about her reaction the other night, he knew he was right to lay his cards on the table. He couldn’t go into this with half measures, trying to guess what she was thinking.
So he’d taken the direct approach.
And now had to sit here, waiting.
“Can you say something? Stab me in the heart with a fork, tell me to pound sand. Anything?”
Mel laughed, pulling her hand free to cover her mouth. Her eyes shimmered and he realized she’d been fighting tears. Oh shit, he’d made her cry.
“Sorry.” She swiped at her eyes. “I just…I was just absorbing everything.”
“Absorbing in a good way or a stab-me-in-the-heart way?”
She smiled again. “A good way. I think.”
“Good doesn’t usually come with qualifiers.”

“It’s …it’s… Are you trying to say you want to date?”

BUY LINKS



Books in the Homefront Series
Book 1: Homefront
Book 2: After the War
Book 3: Face the Fire 
And don't miss the Coming Home Series
Book .5: I'll Be Home for Christmas
Book 1: Because of You
Book 1.5: Anything for You
Book 2: Back to You
Book 3: Until There Was You
Book 4: All for You
Book 5: It's Always Been You
Book 5.5: All I Want for Christmas Is You



Visit Jessica Scott here    http://www.jessicascott.net


Jessica Scott is an Iraq war veteran, an active duty army officer and the USA Today bestselling author of novels set in the heart of America’s Army. She is the mother of two daughters, three cats and three dogs, and wife to a retired NCO. She and her family are currently wherever the army has sent her.She's also written for the New York Times At War Blog, PBS Point of View Regarding War, and IAVA. She deployed to Iraq in 2009 as part of Operation Iraqi Freedom (OIF)/New Dawn and has had the honor of serving as a company commander at Fort Hood, Texas twice.She's pursuing a graduate degree in Sociology in her spare time and she's been featured as one of Esquire Magazine's Americans of the Year for 2012.Jessica is also an active member of the Military Writers Guild.


No comments:

Post a Comment